The museum collections focus on the social history of Newton Abbot and environs, the GWR history including the social history of the GWR & its affect on the town & its people.
GWR tea can boiler Detail of 16th century carving from the Sandford Orleigh
The existing collections fall into two main groups.
- The 16th century and later Sandford Orleigh carved oak overmantle.
- Notable Newtonians display which includes the Aller Vale Art Pottery collection.
- 2014 WWI - ‘Service & Sacrifice’ exhibition (on display for 4 years)
- John Lethbridge 18th century inventor and diver- replica ‘diving-engine’
- The Great Western Railway history, including the social history of the GWR and its influence on the town & the people of Newton Abbot.
Aller Vale charger by Charles Collard WWI autograph album
By appointment only:-
- Archives – Social history & GWR history
- Oral Archive- GWR recordings & Town recordings available on website,
- Photographic Archive
- Small costume collection (only available when on display)
- Prints & Drawings & Paintings
- Objects and artefacts relating to the life of the town